web page hit counter Introduction to Phenomenology, pg. 86-87 - The Parallel Campaign
The blog of Michael K.



Introduction to Phenomenology, pg. 86-87


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



(my itals)
"One and the same object or event can be now symbolized, now pictured, now verbally intended, and now perceived; it can also be imagined, remembered and anticipated. Through all these permutations it remains the same thing. We do not see many different appearances that we just relate to one and the same thing, but rather one and the same thing is itself given in new and varied ways. In this flow of presentations, the same thing is recognized over and over again. Its own identity is increased and intensified. We could even say its being is enhanced through the enrichment of its manifolds of presentation, since the being of a thing is not unrelated to its truth, and certainly the thing enjoys more truth as its displays are enlarged. There is more to A Midsummer Night's Dream after centuries of interpretation and staging than there was before. There is more to an animal and to a human being after they have manifested themselves through the events of life than there was before. The actuality involved in truth perfects not only the perceiver, but the entity that is displayed as well. (Robert Sokolowski)


I'm just trying to get my head around this passage, to assess its validity in my own experience, as long as it implies what I take it to be implying - that one meaning of existence is the increasing and profound deepening of an object's identity or being-ness through the simple act of existing. I understand phenomenology has its share of adherents among the religious, and I understand Sokolowski is a monsignor. Here I think we see evidence of that.

|

About me

  • Michael K.
  • Observing the things in my personal cosmos: music of a catchy sort, soccer, hockey and other sports, theories of place, media and culture, academic life, history, nature, politics, the international, the parochial. You never know what you might get. For generosity of the spirit.
  • My profile
    follow me on Twitter
    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Happiest Fool. Make your own badge here.

    Previous posts

    Archives

    Linksam and Jetsam


      These sites were nutty prescient enough to link to TPC

    ATOM 0.3