web page hit counter And my hypocritical response to the preceding post... - The Parallel Campaign
The blog of Michael K.



And my hypocritical response to the preceding post...


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Hypocritical, I say, because I'm sitting here blissfully unaware of what's going on in real-time in Manhattan tonight - who's up to speak at the moment, what scurrilous lies and inconceivable claims about the war, the economy, and that repulsive man are being shoveled out there tonight like so much manure (and being the home of the Rangers, you know MSG has seen more than its share of shit.)
It doesn't even mean enough to me that I'd leave the TV running in the other room. This is where I'm at right now - perhaps unfortunately; having to listen to Dick Cheney go prattling on for a half hour, unfiltered, would induce apoplexy. It's a show, nothing more (so was the DNC, and I watched that sparingly). A show I'm not watching.

So perhaps condemning the networks for not showing more than a few hours of the RNC in prime time isn't wholly fair. Pertinent to the article below, what's worth thinking about is the sense that the Arab world feels it has more at stake in this campaign than many Americans do. Is that a fair assessment? To some degree, I'd wager: after all, Americans merely get ripped off by BushCo, while Middle Easterners - be they Iraqis, Iranians, Syrians, etc. live under the spectre of current or future invasions. To say that the US is a Middle Eastern power is a bit facile now, isn't it? Arab audiences may have some distorted views of the US and its political processes (sometimes distorted, sometimes maybe truer to reality than what we see from within) - and god only knows what they're going to be thinking after watching this week's charade - but compare that to the apathy and disengagement from the whole sphere of real issues (in favor of comparatively irrelevant single-issues), which is evident among a lot of people you and I know.

|

About me

  • Michael K.
  • Observing the things in my personal cosmos: music of a catchy sort, soccer, hockey and other sports, theories of place, media and culture, academic life, history, nature, politics, the international, the parochial. You never know what you might get. For generosity of the spirit.
  • My profile
    follow me on Twitter
    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Happiest Fool. Make your own badge here.

    Previous posts

    Archives

    Linksam and Jetsam


      These sites were nutty prescient enough to link to TPC

    ATOM 0.3