web page hit counter Ebay being extra vigilant - The Parallel Campaign
The blog of Michael K.



Ebay being extra vigilant


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I only had a single beer last night, and I don't remember doing any hallucinogens, but I swear this is true; last night, someone hanging out at Danielle's The Show pissed away a nice chunk of karma by making a crack about Terri Schiavo's feeding tube ending up on Ebay, which naturally inspired me to do a quick Ebay search for "Schiavo" then and there. In between the grafters trying to make a quick buck by pawning off "RememberTerri.com" and "TerriSchiavoIsDead.org" domain names (but not attracting bites above $5 - good for you, Ebay buying public!), some Buffalo-based genius had put up a Miraculous Terri Schiavo Grilled Cheese Sandwich, complete with photos of the blessed wheat bread-and-processed-cheese relic, its toasted-in pattern looking something like the poor woman/inanimate brain-damaged political football, something like the south face of Mount Washington. "THIS IS NOT A JOKE" he/she assured us. Of course not. Sadly I did not copy and paste the merch. description then - safe to say, it was hilarious.*

I hesitate to think how high the holy rollers would have bid it up, given the chance. Hundreds? Thousands? I'm serious. But not a sign of it onsite today - which shouldn't be all that surprising, I guess. More of a shock for me, per Google, is that no one else - no blogs, no news sites caught it. Am I starting to see things? Ah, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

*Yes, I said hilarious. Wrong, offensive, disrespectful of the pain being inflicted on the Schindlers and Michael Schiavo, not to mention Terri Schiavo (or what's left of her consciousness) as well? Yup, without a doubt. More offensive than cynically employing a helpless body in a bed as an wedge to further divide and polarize a polity that's currently about as unified as a brick made of mercury? Not a chance. Terri Schiavo jokes simply should not be funny, but the past two weeks have been little more than one very long Schiavo joke, told by Bush and Bush and DeLay and Frist and Terry and repeated by their utterly frightening fundamentalist minions.

|

About me

  • Michael K.
  • Observing the things in my personal cosmos: music of a catchy sort, soccer, hockey and other sports, theories of place, media and culture, academic life, history, nature, politics, the international, the parochial. You never know what you might get. For generosity of the spirit.
  • My profile
    follow me on Twitter
    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Happiest Fool. Make your own badge here.

    Previous posts

    Archives

    Linksam and Jetsam


      These sites were nutty prescient enough to link to TPC

    ATOM 0.3